Audio Post: Why study Global Studies?

When someone asks me why my class is important I have to decide which reason(s) I want to use.  As a teacher, I obviously feel that my class is necessary, especially for young men and women who have just entered high school.  It has been my experience most students are at least a little interested in learning why things are the way they currently are.  Exposing students to various geographical features, cultures, economic systems, religions, and conflicts helps them understand the world in which they live.

As I've said before, the Global Studies curriculum of my particular school is unique.  Our curriculum covers different themes rather than adhering to a strict chronological order of events.  While conflicts and struggles for freedom across the globe are studied in historical order, we have found that introducing students to different political and economic systems helps their understanding of 20th century conflicts when it is taught prior to the actual fighting.

In any case, I came across a a podcast from FreshEd on SoundCloud that focuses on the growing importance of Global Studies in the 21st century.  



So what do you think?  I'm curious to hear your comments!

Comments