Commentary Entry: Grade inflation and its dangerous impact

One of my responsibilities as a Social Studies teacher is to be conscious of current events that are happening at the local, state, national, and international levels.  This can be a challenging task as major news networks often attempt to spin stories to fit their particular narrative.  I'm finding more and more that I have to tell my students; "It appears that way for now, let's see what happens later this week".  In fact, I experimented with a "3 day rule" toward the end of the year.  If a student asked me a question about something going on in the news I would do my best to explain the story as I understood it.  I would encourage the student to try and revisit the story 3 days later to see if what was printed on Monday matched what was printed on Wednesday.  Websites like Snopes and FactCheck can be very helpful to curious students who want to know if what they read or heard is actually true.  

While the feeling of constantly having to question whether the information you've been given is accurate may be annoying at times, having a multitude of sources available to corroborate or challenge a story is essential to having an open and educated democratic republic.

In any case, yesterday morning I came across an article from USA Today detailing a recent study that found nearly half of America's seniors in the class of 2016 graduated with an "A" average.  I had mixed feelings before I read the article and even after reading the story I felt torn.  I work very hard to deliver quality instruction to all my students and I want them all to succeed but I also hold them accountable when need be.  The statistics in this article show a trend that simply shouldn't be and I have a few ideas about why the data is what it is.  I've included the article, as well as some of my personal thoughts below.



A's on the rise in U.S. report cards, but SAT score founder

The good news on America's report cards: More high school teachers are handing out A's.  But the bad news is that students aren't necessarily learning more.  

Recent findings show that the proportion of high school seniors graduating with an A average — that includes an A-minus or A-plus — has grown sharply over the past generation, even as average SAT scores have fallen.  

In 1998, it was 38.9%. By last year, it had grown to 47%.  

That’s right: Nearly half of America’s Class of 2016 are A students.  Meanwhile, their average SAT score fell from 1,026 to 1,002 on a 1,600-point scale — suggesting that those A's on report cards might be fool's gold.

The new findings come courtesy of two researchers: Michael Hurwitz of the College Board, the folks who bring you the SAT; and Jason Lee, a doctoral student at the University of Georgia’s Institute of Higher Education.  

Hurwitz called the rise of the A average "really stunning."  

The revelation comes as the USA's public high schools graduate a record number of students: The average high school graduation rate now tops 83%, according to federal statistics.

But that's not always translating into more college diplomas. A recent study by the Harvard Graduate School of Education found that just 56% of college students complete a four-year degree within six years of entering college. 

For students who start at two-year colleges, it's even worse: Just 29% earn a degree within three years.

Examining the academic transcripts of high school graduates in the 18-year period from 1998 to 2016, they found that the average grade point average (GPA) rose from 3.27 to 3.38, even as the average SAT score dropped.

Actually, they said, the upward creep is most pronounced in schools with large numbers of white, wealthy students. And its especially noticeable in private schools, where the rate of inflation was about three times higher than in public schools.

Hurwitz said an A is now "the modal high school grade,” a solid sign of grade inflation.

He said one of the goals of the research is to "make sure that college admissions professionals are equipped to make the best decisions possible.”

But he said high schools are increasingly moving away from class ranking, a traditional metric that helps colleges figure out which students are really achieving above their peers.

Lee said previous research has tied high school GPA to the National Assessment of Educational Progress, a widely respected standardized test administered by the federal government. But the new research is the first to draw such a direct line between GPA and SAT scores.

Recent research suggests that the problem isn’t just showing up in high school. In colleges nationwide, the most popular grade is now an A, according to Stuart Rojstaczer, a former Duke University scholar and founder of the website GradeInflation.com.

According to Rojstaczer, close to 50% of all college grades given are A’s, a far cry from even two decades ago, when the average GPA at a four-year college was 3.11.

He recently told USA TODAY that A’s are now three times more common than they were in 1960.

Rojstaczer has said grade inflation became more prevalent during the Vietnam War era, when professors began awarding higher grades to prevent students from being deployed, since students who dropped out of college were drafted into the military.

The new research is scheduled to appear in a book published in January by Johns Hopkins University Press.

Follow Greg Toppo on Twitter: @gtoppo


While this topic does not directly coincide with my Global Studies class, the growing disparity between GPA and SAT scores should be relevant to everyone involved in education today.  My thoughts on this article are based on the assumption that the two researchers did not "doctor" the data (and I do not think they did) in any way.  

The study shows average GPAs and high school graduation rates across the U.S. are rising, however average SAT scores are declining and college graduation rates are mediocre at best.  This inverse relationship does not make sense so what factors could contribute to these statistics?  The reasons below are my personal thoughts on the matter, however I made an attempt to find other sources support my reasons.

Let's begin with the rising GPA and high school graduation rates.  I believe there are a number of factors contributing to rising GPAs nationwide which include; 
  • parent pressure on students to perform well (so they can get into college)
  • parent pressure on teacher(s) to influence their grades (especially in private schools with high rates of tuition)
  • teachers giving multiple opportunities to submit work to remain elligible for extra-curriculars and/or college.
  • general lowering of expectations
 as for rising graduation rates...
  • pressure on schools to increase graduation rates to meet AYP (during NCLB era)
  • pressure on schools to boast high graduation rates to increase/maintain property values
  • students (both learning support and regular ed) getting "passed along" 
  • a focus by some states/schools to implement PBIS or other "restorative justice" programs
  • removal of "zero tolerance" policies and easing of suspensions/expulsions

I believe the general decline in SAT scores as well as poor college graduation rates stem from at least a few of the reasons I mentioned.  I've only been teaching for 4 years and I've either experienced, or known someone who has experienced ALL of the factors I've listed above.

I've seen students stress over tests because of pressure put on them by their parents.  Although I haven't experienced it myself, I've had colleagues who felt pressured by parents to change not only test grades, but final course grades for a class!  I myself am guilty of sometimes giving my students too many chances to submit work when they would not have that opportunity in college or at any job.  

I am growing increasingly concerned about a culture of entitlement when it comes to student grades because it sets them up for failure later in life.  We should do everything in our power to reject this growing trend of "grade inflation".  Unintended consecquences can (and perhaps already are) resulting in attitudes of; "Why be a hardworking student if I'm going to get an A grade for C work?"

I welcome any and all comments to this post.  Does anyone else feel the same way I do or am I crazy?

Comments

  1. You're definitely not crazy. At my school we are also noticing grade inflation for the exact reasons you listed and described. It isn't a school-wide issue, but with a decent amount of teachers. It is definitely a struggle to be rigorous, but not making it impossible. I wish I had a magical way to fix it, but I just hold my ground with grades and ensure its fair and accurate.

    One thing you didn't describe for rising GPAs is pressure from administrators to have more students pass. I got called into my former VPs office because I had too many students failing despite having higher mastery rates than the other teachers in the department. I was disappointed, but at least happy that I wasn't "encouraged" to change the grades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an educator (and future parent) it bothers me when I hear stories like yours. More and more we are not holding persons responsible for the results in the classroom. I'll be the first to admit when I make a mistake or miss a topic in class that is on our common assessments (very rarely happened even in my first year) and I do not count my mistake against the students. I am very lucky to have a great head principal, district level supervisor, and grade level administrator who have been nothing but supportive of me in my new position. I feel like we are treated as professionals and as long as we are doing our jobs we will be supported by our administration.

      On the flip side, our school was taken to court and lost a case where a student's IEP was not being followed for a prolonged period of time. This one case cost our district a lot of money to pay for a private school for the student. I do not quite know how the mistakes were made for such a long period of time but obviously we were held accountable for our wrongdoing. Our principal told us in the next faculty meeting that we (as a school) fail a large number of special education students and he would never tell us to change a grade, but we had better be sure we were abiding by the SDIs in an IEP. In this particular case I agree that we did not give the student the best possible educational opportunity and we should be held accountable, but this was one rare instance and by far not the norm for our school.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My school was having a lot of discussions last year about grade inflation and if a C is truly average. In our school we were finding that we were also giving a ton of A grades and we were questioning whether or not students had actually earned that grade and if that is a true representation of what they know. I think a lot of it stems from parent's misunderstandings of what grades mean. Parents have the expectation that their student always deserves an A, but for me an A means that they have done exceptional work and not every student always does an exceptional job. I have high expectations for my students and not all of them always reach the set expectations so they should not receive the highest grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that an "A" represents going above and beyond what is asked, but maybe our perceptions are outdated in this age of hyper-competitive college admissions? If teachers across the country (even if it is a small percentage) are handing out A's due to parent/administrator pressure then obviously the system is unfair across the board. One solution I've been thinking about (and I don't see it happening anytime soon) would be to eliminate the grading scale and make high school classes pass/fail. Each class would have a checklist and/or rubric to explain what is required to pass the class and as long as students achieved everything on the checklist/rubric they would pass. Schools would still determine how many credits (classes passed) students would need to earn a diploma so not much would need to change in that regard. Obviously this system would require some changes for college admissions, but I think it would make things easier long term. Colleges/Universities would go to an "open enrollment" system where as long as students had a high school diploma and were willing to pay for the semester they would be allowed to enroll in classes. Large colleges and universities might require incoming students to take an entrance exam. This would give individual institutions the autonomy to decide how rigorous they want to be rather than relying on SAT scores, ACT scores, class rank, etc. For example, if I wanted to go to Boise State University for undergrad I would have to pass Boise State's admissions exam. If I passed the exam I would be allowed to take classes at the university, if not, I would have to take the exam again and pay the non-refundable examination fee. I'm sure there would be some flaws to work out and the College Board would do everything in their power to fight it, but the current system will change...it is just a matter of when.

      Delete
  4. I definitely think there is grade inflation across the board, and I think there are multiple reasons for this. Is giving the higher grade the path of least resistance for the teacher and schools? Is there consistency in grading, and/or is this possible? So many times I see kids freak out when they earn below a B, but I try to remind them that a C is average. I think so many people have forgotten what they mean as far as a bell curve perspective goes. We all can't be exceptional, well, not really. Another aspect I have tried to illustrate to students at the beginning of the year is to show to sample projects. It helps drive the point home when you put some work beside another comparatively and ask them: would you still give both the same grade? The answer is always no, so they see the concept of grading differently, but that's not always the case with parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela,

      This topic of grade inflation has made me think about the fairness of our college admissions system (see my reply to Ryann above). Many parents want their kids to be given A's so they are eligible to apply to the college of their choosing. It makes sense (although I don't agree with the mindset) that parents are looking out for the best interest of their kids, but teachers are tired of defending their grading policies and most of us don't want to be the reason why Johnny didn't get into Harvard. Moving toward a pass/fail system in high school and giving colleges/universities the autonomy to run their own admissions exam would take a lot of the "emotion" out of our current system.

      Delete

Post a Comment